Sorry its taken so long to get an answer, but essentially you want to
concatenate the outer coordinates with the inner ones (reversed) to
indicate that it is a hole. There is a pretty (simple) useful example that
I added a few years ago for demonstrating the use of paths for markers:
http://matplotlib.org/examples/pylab_examples/marker_path.html

Constructing a patch from a path is as simple as (untested):

import matplotlib.patches as mpatches
patch = mpatches.PathPatch(my_path, facecolor='red', edgecolor='yellow')
axes.add_patch(patch)

HTH,

Phil