I’m not going to claim this is the final answer, but in the documentation for
the stem function[1], it specifically says that the horizontal line is drawn at
0.

A workaround is to subtract the offset from your data, and relabel the axes….

[1]http://matplotlib.org/api/pyplot_api.html?highlight=stem#matplotlib.pyplot.stem