This is probaly due to issues with not all of the vector backends
supporting alpha gracefully.

This can be reproduced more simply by

x, y = np.ogrid[-5:5:.1, -5:5:.1]
dd = np.exp(-(x**2 + y**2))
dd[dd < .1] = np.nan

fig, ax = plt.subplots()
ax.imshow(dd, interpolation='none', cmap='gray_r')
plt.savefig('test.pdf')

@steven In the future it is best to report bugs with minimal copy-paste
able examples.