Here is what I did:

Put a 00_matplotlib_rc.py in ipython's profile_default/startup folder
(you might need to run ipython profile create, or ipython profile
locate to create/find them), and in the file specify my matplotlib rc
parameters. For example:

import matplotlib as mpl

# Figure formatting
mpl.rcParams['savefig.dpi'] = 300
mpl.rcParams['figure.figsize'] = (3.27, 3.27)

# Font setting
mpl.rcParams['mathtext.default'] = 'regular'
mpl.rcParams['font.family'] = ['sans-serif']
mpl.rcParams['font.sans-serif'] = ['Arial']
mpl.rcParams['font.size'] = 8
mpl.rcParams['pdf.fonttype'] = 42
mpl.rcParams['ps.fonttype'] = 42

# Line properties
mpl.rcParams['lines.linewidth'] = 1.
mpl.rcParams['lines.markersize'] = 4

# Legends
mpl.rcParams['legend.frameon'] = False
mpl.rcParams['legend.fontsize'] = 8
mpl.rcParams['legend.handlelength'] = 3

# Subplot frame line
mpl.rcParams['axes.linewidth'] = .5

I would be happy to know if there's a better/different way to do it.

Shawn

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 5:49 PM, mato <mato_pavlo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> This might be the case (I'm running Anaconda/Spyder/Ipython) however so far I
> haven't been able to locate the appropriate settings file...
>

> Yuxiang Wang wrote
>> Are you using IPython QtConsole / Notebook? I think they have their
>> own settings on their backend.
>>
>> Shawn
>

> --

Yuxiang "Shawn" Wang