Then convert them to date objects? Also, I am guessing that the length of
indices.index is not the same as indices.carli, which could also be the
reason for a ValueError. So you would need to use whatever pandas variable
that indices.index derived from.

Ben Root

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 12:48 PM, Ted To <rainexpec...@theo.to> wrote:

> Unless I recall incorrectly, I think I am using set_xticklabels because
> indices.index are strings.  When I tried specifying
> ax.plot(indices.index,indices.carli) I get a ValueError.
>
> Ted
>

> On 2015-06-17 10:28 am, Benjamin Root wrote:
>
>> Why are you calling ax.set_xticklabels()?. Why not pass the x values
>> to ax.plot() along with the y values? Then you won't need to set the
>> labels because matplotlib will do it for you.
>>
>> Ben Root
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Ted To <rainexpec...@theo.to> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm having a strange problem and I don't understand why this is
>>> happening. I am plotting the dataframe in:
>>> http://pastebin.com/C0Pt0iYd [1]
>>> but I'm getting too few tick marks. My code for the plot is:
>>>
>>> fig, ax = plt.subplots()
>>> plt.rc('text', usetex=True)
>>> fig.autofmt_xdate()
>>> ax.plot(indices.carli,'b-',label=r'textsf{Carli}')
>>> ax.plot(indices.geomean,'g-',label=r'textsf{GeoMean}')
>>> ax.plot(indices.laspeyres,'c-',label=r'textsf{Laspeyres}')
>>> ax.plot(indices.paasche,'m-',label=r'textsf{Paasche}')
>>> ax.plot(indices.tornqvist,'y-',label=r'textsf{T"ornqvist}')
>>> plt.xlabel(r'textsf{Month}')
>>> plt.ylabel(r'textsf{Index value}')