Works fine for

{{{
 : python
Python 2.7.10 (default, Sep 15 2015, 11:26:42)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 6.0 (clang-600.0.57)] on darwin
/Users/smithsp/.pyhistory
>>> import matplotlib
>>> matplotlib.__version__
'1.4.3'
>>> import numpy
>>> numpy.__version__
'1.9.2'
>>> matplotlib.get_backend()
u’MacOSX'
}}}

All are obtained through MacPorts on OSX 10.9.5.

-Sterling