      From: Joe Kington <joferking...@gmail.com>
 To: Paul Hobson <pmhob...@gmail.com>
Cc: CAB <cabr...@yahoo.com>; Matplotlib Development List
<matplotlib-de...@lists.sourceforge.net>; Matplotlib Users
<matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
 Sent: Friday, February 17, 2017 5:03 PM
 Subject: Re: [matplotlib-devel] [Matplotlib-users] License, freetype

Well, if Freetype were only distributed under the GPL, you couldn't distribute
matplotlib in binary form without providing the source code.

However, Freetype is distributed under more than one license.  (see:
https://www.freetype.org/license.html )

Because it's distributed under a BSD-style license in addition to the GPL, it
can be distributed in binary form, subject to an accreditation clause:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/tree/docs/FTL.TXT

In the past, I have gotten approval from corporate lawyers at a very large
company to use freetype (and matplotlib) in an application that was being
distributed in binary form.  The dual-licensing of freetype was key in that
particular case.

Or that's my take on it, anyway.  I'm not a Lawyer, so don't consider this
legal advice in any way.
Cheers!
-Joe