Optimal DG placement is beyond the scope of MatPower as it is a binary
optimization problem. I believe MatPower does not have support for MILP but Ray
would be able to comment on it conclusively. As for optimizing the size
(capacity), you could run an optimization (runopf) with the maximum load the
system can handle. Determining the maximum load is a tricky issue as it
encompasses a gamut of ways in which you could increase the load. Pick a
direction for load increase that suits your problem. I believe MatPower has a
routine by which you can increase the load at all the buses with the load power
factor held constant. This optimization would give you the optimal size for the
DG but _not_ the optimal power factor.
For obtaining optimal power factor of the DG, one way is to include
minimization of the reactive power of the DG in the OPF objective function. You
can do this by adding the generator cost data for the reactive power in
mpc.gencost field of the data file. Most of the MatPower cases (may be all)
have cost data only for generator real power and hence the row size of gencost
is ngen. One can also specify the cost associated with reactive power in rows
ngen+1:2*ngen making the row size of gencost 2*ngen. (See page 88 of the
manual). In your case, you would want to put zeros in all the rows for reactive
power cost except the one for the DG. Assuming you are using a 2nd order
polynomial cost function for the DG of the form alpha*Qg^2 + beta*Qg + gamma,
alpha=gamma=0 and beta=1 for the DG reactive power cost row.

Hope this helps,
Shri