Ali,
  Firstly, you have an error in the case file. The generator set point voltage
(gen(1,VG) is set to 2 pu which is incorrect. It should be around 1.0 pu.

  Even after setting the generator set point voltage to 1 pu, the case does not
converge because the loading surpasses the steady state loading limit causing a
collapse of the bus voltages. You can see this by running the continuation
power flow in MATPOWER.

   mpctarget = case30_1dep;
   mpcbase = mpctarget;
   mpcbase.bus(:,[3;4]) = 0.0; %% Set Pd and Qd at all buses to 0.0
[RESULTS, SUCCESS] =
runcpf(mpcbase,mpctarget,mpoption('cpf.plot.level',1,'cpf.plot.bus',19)); % Run
a continuation power from base case (Pd/Qd = 0.0) to target (Pd/Qd = given
values in case30_1dep).

The figure below plots lambda (the load scaling factor in this example) versus
bus 19 voltage magnitude. Lambda= 0.0 denotes to the base case having no real
and reactive power demand at the buses, while lambda = 1.0 denotes the target
demand. As you can see the curve turns around at lambda=0.6 indicating the
steady state loading limit has been reached. In other words, this system can
only serve 60% of the given target load. Anything above 60% would cause a
voltage collapse.

[cid:61039831-DD0F-45E4-A312-41FDD0ABA4A9]

You can do similar analysis with your second case and see that lambda goes
beyond 1.0 indicating that the extra generation on the downstream bus improves
the voltage stability of the system.

Shri