There isn’t a really easy to solve what you want with the current version of
MATPOWER, but I think it should be possible to do it with a few “tricks”.

For a branch between bus X and bus Y ...

1. Add two dummy buses X’ and Y’ and reconnect the line to X’ and Y’ instead of
X and Y.
2. Add dummy generators at X, X’, Y and Y’ with PMIN = –M, PMAX = M, where M is
some value larger than the max flow on the line (even in the relaxed solutions).
3. Add user-defined linear constraints to enforce equality between the Pg of
dummy gen at X and -Pg of dummy gen at X’, and likewise for dummy gens at Y and
Y’.
4. Set the cost on each of the dummy generators to a piecewise linear function
that is zero up to the original line limit value, and some large value above
that.
5. Add user-defined linear constraints to enforce equality between the voltages
(magnitudes and angles) at X and X’ and at Y and Y’.
6. Remove or relax the original line limit on the line itself.

I don’t think I’ve never tried this, so I’d be interested in hearing how well
it works if you decide to attempt it.

--
Ray Zimmerman
Senior Research Associate