Hi Dr.Zimmerman,

I'm new to matpower so please excuse me if this is a silly question.

I'm trying to use matpower to calculate power flow for a distribution grid.
This circuit has power coming from a substation on 12.47 kV three phase
line. Single phase transformers tap off the three phase line and step the
voltage down to 120V to serve houses in the circuit. In matpower,
transformers are modeled as a branch, how should I model the connections in
my circuit?

For example:
substation is connected to transformer 1 which is then connected to 5
loads. In the circuit model it would be
substation -> transformer
transformer -> load 1
transformer -> load 5

Should I model this in the branch matrix as

substation(node 1) -> load 1 (node 2)
substation(node 1) -> load 5 (node 6)
load 1(node 2) -> load 2 (node 3)
etc.

Also since the transformer step the voltage level from 12.47kV to 120V,
which level should I use to calculate my p.u impedance?
Thank you
Thai