Hi all,

I'm doing some work with MATPOWER on line congestion indices. As part of that, I'm interested in what the flow on a line might be in the worst-case conditions. This corresponds to an optimal power flow with an objective function to maximise the flow on a particular line. I'm happy with DC approximations for this application.

Rather than rolling up my sleeves and creating a fully custom objective function, I've tried to repurpose the functionality in "toggle_softlims.m" My cunning plan is:

- Set all generator costs equal to zero
- For my line of interest, set an arbitrarily small thermal limit (RATE_A)
- Remove thermal limits for all other lines
- Then set a negative cost for soft line overloads in the line of interest

With this setup, the only way to minimize cost should be to find the maximum feasible overload in the line of interest. However, I can never get the solver to converge for negative overload costs. Does anyone know why that might be?

Many thanks,

Paul

--
Dr. Paul Cuffe,