All MATPOWER functions contain their own documentation, available by typing,
for example ‘help ext2int’. Or you can look it up in the MATPOWER Online
Function Reference <http://www.pserc.cornell.edu/matpower/docs/ref/> listed in
the documentation section of the MATPOWER home page
<http://www.pserc.cornell.edu/matpower/>.

Here’s the direct link for ext2int.m:
http://www.pserc.cornell.edu/matpower/docs/ref/matpower6.0b2/ext2int.html

The differing dimensions has to do with the fact that (from the above docs):

"all isolated buses, off-line generators and branches are removed along with
any generators or branches connected to isolated buses"

    Ray