From: bounce-121259537-76238...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-121259537-76238...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Enrico
Vaccariello
Sent: 21. febrúar 2017 00:48
To: MATPOWER discussion forum <matpowe...@list.cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: Sequential OPF: Non-convergence of both OPF and PF

Dear Samuel,
I really appreciate your help, thank you.

After reading your reply I have made some further tests, and I believe that the
very issue is the branch matrix too.
The ACOPF actually converges with your corrections on the branch matrix, and I
have noticed that it still works even keeping the original values for the
lines' resistances. Keeping the original values of mpc.branch(:,BR_R) results
in active power losses accounting for around 3% of the total generated active
power, which seems reasonable to me, suggesting that the p.u. values of the
resistances are acceptable.

So the problem should lie in the values of X and of the MVA ratings.
Did u reduce the values of X because they looked too high to you or just to get
the ACOPF to converge?
As for the MVA ratings given in mpc.branch(:,RATE_A), setting them all equal to
zero, as you suggested, and running the ACOPF clearly shows that in the optimal
solution some branches have power flows much higher than their limit in the
original case. Some of these branches are the same that you indicated
(150,369,...).
What I think is weird is that all these branches link PQ buses, with no power
generation. So, it's difficult to understand what is the logic behind it.
Anyway, I have checked all the branches and their From and To indexes are all
correct.

I hope I will find a way to fix this.
Until then, thank you again.

One last thing I wanted to ask about your reply (first paragraph of your mail):
I have understood that the values that you use to initialize mpc.bus(:,PG) do
affect the solution of the PF problem, while they are not considered by the OPF
solver. Is that right?

Best regards,
Enrico