Hi Sayandev,

As you know, iterative methods need an initial guess.  But this is the
user's *choice*: you can use a flat start as you mention, or any other
information you may have (for instance, from previously solved cases that
are similar to the one at hand---as it happens when solving N-1 contingency
analysis cases).  MATPOWER cannot make this choice for you; so it will just
take the values of bus(:,[VM VA]) present in the input file as the initial
guess (except for VM in PV buses, where the value is replaced by the
regulation voltage VG of the corresponding generators).

So, if you want to test a "flat start", you have to explicitly set the
values of VM and VA before you call runpf().  By the way, setting the VM to
the swing's Vref is (arguably) slightly better than setting them to 1.  In
any case, note that "flat start" is by no means a guaranteed way to obtain
the correct solution (or a solution at all).

--
Jose L. Marin
Grupo AIA