Stephen:

For hydro plants with reservoir, the way I have done this is by assigning a daily (or weekly, depending on the length of the planning horizon) amount of energy as the initial storage state, to be used throughout the horizon optimally. As for the cost, it could even be zero; the price of water will be set by virtue of the thermal generation displaced by hydro power.

Carlos.

Stephen Suffian wrote:
Ray and all,

I was wondering if anyone has experience in modeling hydro commitment in MOST. I understand that a comprehensive hydropower commitment incorporates medium and long-term solutions.

However, I am hoping to build a simplified model that possibly assumes energy constraints on the hydro at the daily or weekly level, and then looks to solve hourly commitment based on these constraints. Have other people incorporated hydro in some way? Perhaps there is a way to consider it a form of storage that can only be externally recharged (through rainfall)? Do I develop a profile in order to have a time-dependent cost function? Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated!

Stephen Suffian