Indeed, binding limits are likely to influence both the base cases and the contingency cases so that they _jointly_ meet all limits.  This is so because explicit constraints are included that tie these states together, affecting the dispatch of both.  So to answer your question, the joint constraint affects both states.

With regards to bench limits:  currently, the limits used for branch flows are hard; there is no flexible-limit option like there is for
MATPOWER's OPF.  However, it is not unreasonable to raise the transmission limit for a post-contingency state, under the assumption
that when a contingency occurs, it is likely to trigger further actions by the system operator and thus the post-contingency state will
not last for long.  The way to do this is to use a multi-row contingency specification in contab;  one row specifies the contingency
(i.e., loss of some equipment), and another row specifies the change in the transmission limits for the post-contingency state.
Both rows should have the same contingency label.

carlos.

Carlos Ferrandon Cervantes wrote:
Thank you Doctor for your reply. I have been using the "contab" matrix, adding contingencies to the original case I am working with. In the results output I've realised that once certain  adjacent branch reaches its limit, this constrain is considered to be binding (please help me out if I get this ok!). In order to do this, I understand that in the optimisation process certain generation rescheduling has to be done -which is something I have seen it is actually happening for the K-contingency mdo.resultsExpectedDispatch matrix.  What I do not have quite clear is that how each of this K-contingency case updates the base case as final result of the simulation, and also; can MOST include branches limits relaxation, considering the ramping up/down limits of the generation?

Kind regards,

Carlos Ferrandon