Hi all,

After aggregating several generating units of the same type, I approximated
the corresponding cost function (of the aggregated units).

The best approximation that I could get turned out to be a piecewise
-quadratic-function (See snapshot below).
[image: image.png]

My question is:
Does anyone have any ideas on how to model a piecewise cost function for a
single generating unit in MATPOWER?

I've been reading the MATPOWER Manual Section 7.2 on Callback Functions and
Section 6.3 on Extended OPF Formulation for modeling user-defined cost
terms, but it is yet not very clear to me.

On the other hand, I could approximate the above cost functions using the
smoothed price-power curve approach suggested in the manual (then
referencing [1]), but again, I  would have the same issue with how to
implement it using MATPOWER since the resulting cost function might end up
being nonlinear.

Any suggestion or hint will be highly appreciated.

Ref.
[1] Wang, H., Murillo-Sanchez, C.E., Zimmerman, R.D. and Thomas, R.J.,
2007. On computational issues of market-based optimal power flow. IEEE
Transactions on power Systems, 22(3), pp.1185-1193.

Fondly,

*Mario Daniel Baquedano Aguilar, Ph.D. Candidate, E.E.*
ECE University of Florida - Fulbright Scholar
DAAD Alumni - M.Sc. in Electrical Engineering
IEEE Power & Energy Magazine - Editor
IEEE Power & Energy Society - Gainesville Chapter - Chair
 m.baquedanoag...@ufl.edu; mariodaniel...@ieee.org
+1 (352) 745-9542