Hello,
I've browsed the web and haven't been able to find a solution to this problem and the technical support for my cluster has somewhat left me in the wind on this issue.

We've got Maui version 3.2.6p13, configured out of the box by my cluster vendor running on SuSE 10.1 with pbs_server 2.1.3.

The system has 35 dual cpu, dual core compute nodes on it. When the system is open and we submit a job using qsub -l nodes=32:ppn=4 (i.e. looking for 128 procs), the job will start immediately and run.

However, if this job ever has to wait, the Maui scheduler puts it in Batch hold. A checkjob reports that there is a Policy Violation, the number of procs is too high (128 > 70) - output below.

The job will run if you use the "runjob" command but not if you do a "releasehold" command.

The diagnose -n command reports that there are 35 nodes, and 140 procs.

The nodeallocationpolicy is set to minresource.

qmgr also reports the correct number of nodes/procs (output below)

So my question is this... where is maui getting this 70 from? Obviously, the procs are available because the job runs with the use of the runjob command. Is there another setting that was missed to make this all work correctly? My vendor essentially suggested I change to using the pbs scheduler instead but that seems like giving up on something which seems like a simple matter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelli

--------------------------------- checkjob output.
checking job 1626

State: Idle
Creds:  user:kelli  group:users  class:low  qos:DEFAULT
WallTime: 00:00:00 of 4:00:00:00
SubmitTime: Tue Jul 17 11:53:55
 (Time Queued  Total: 00:13:16  Eligible: 00:00:01)

Total Tasks: 128

Req[0]  TaskCount: 128  Partition: ALL
Network: [NONE]  Memory >= 0  Disk >= 0  Swap >= 0
Opsys: [NONE]  Arch: [NONE]  Features: [NONE]

IWD: [NONE]  Executable:  [NONE]
Bypass: 0  StartCount: 0
PartitionMask: [ALL]
Holds:    Batch  (hold reason:  PolicyViolation)
Messages:  procs too high (128 > 70)
PE:  128.00  StartPriority:  1
cannot select job 1626 for partition DEFAULT (job hold active)
---------------------------------------------------- qmgr output
       server_state = Active
       scheduling = True
       total_jobs = 1
state_count = Transit:0 Queued:1 Held:0 Waiting:0 Running:0 Exiting:0
       default_queue = short
       log_events = 511
       mail_from = adm
       query_other_jobs = True