On Feb 14, 2008, at 4:44 AM, Jim Kusznir wrote:

Hi all:

I also have another FAIRSHARE-related question:  how do I
allocate/authenticate users' group?

In my situation, I have ~7 research groups that contributed varying
amounts to build this cluster.  Each research group has multiple users
in that group, but each user only belongs to one research group (at
least currently).

So far, the examples I've seen of FAIRSHARE use the "billing code"
option to allocate a users' job to a group.  However, its unclear to
me what happens if a user doesn't specify a billing code, or specifies
a code to a different group.  Ideally, I'd like a user to belong to a
specific group and their jobs automatically get counted against that
group.  If a user happens to be in multiple groups, then they can
specify a different group (although this is optional).

Maui can also us the unix group as "Billing code" In the current maui code the unix group of a user must be the primary group. I have written a patch that maui also looks as the secondary groups. Search the archives of this mailing list for the patch: - Re: [Mauiusers] Maui/Torque and Fairshare with secondary Unix groups

I can also send the patch or modified sources.

Is this, or something similar doable?

Yes look at Fairshare for Groups

Thanks!

--Jim