U N I T E D  N A T I O N S
Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Integrated Regional Information Network (IRIN) -

[These reports do not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations]

CONTENT:

1 - AFRICA: European Commission warning on Darfur

1 - AFRICA: European Commission warning on Darfur

ADDIS ABABA, 3 October (IRIN) - José Manuel Barroso, President of the European
Commission, has called on Sudan's president to allow African Union peacekeepers
in the troubled Darfur region to transfer to a stronger United Nations mission
by the end of the year. He also pledged more in European food and other aid.

"What we want first of all is to avoid ... a Rwanda syndrome where the
international community does not fulfil its responsibilities," Barroso warned
on Monday in Addis Ababa, referring to the Rwanda genocide in 1994. "We support
a stronger humanitarian and security presence in Darfur to avoid a tragedy," he
said.

"The question of the presence of the UN or the AU should be seen as an
instrument and not as an end in itself. What we want is peace in Darfur," he
insisted, adding that he was "confident that some progress will happen", to get
Sudan's green light for the deployment of such a mission.

"Europe and Africa are linked with a strong political partnership to bring
peace in Darfur, to stabilise DRC ([Democratic Republic of Congo], to negotiate
a lasting peace agreement in Ivory Coast," Barroso said.

"What is important is to work together, to keep our message clear, so that we
can find a solution to this problem. Our agenda is peace," he reiterated.

A UN Security Council resolution calls for 20,000 UN peacekeepers to replace
the underfunded, undermanned African Union force that has failed to prevent
escalating violence in Darfur. But Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir rejects the
UN mission, which cannot be deployed without his consent.

Meanwhile, the AU has started expanding its peacekeeping operation by 4,000 to
bring the force in the western Sudan region to 11,000 by the end of the year.
"The current situation in Darfur is unacceptable to us, it will never be
acceptable," AU Commission Chairman, Alpha Oumar Konare, said.

"All that we can do, we will do to stop war in Darfur, to stop the tragic
situation of the civilians in Darfur . it is inconceivable that we would
abandon Darfur," Konare said, adding that "the new nature of the conflict was
not within the mandate of AMIS [African mission in Sudan] ... there need to be
forces able to dramatically improve the situation."

During this third meeting with the EC since the launch of the AU in 2002,
Barroso and Konare signed an agreement for the European Commission to give the
cash-strapped African Union US $69.6 million starting in January 2007.

The EC funds are to be used to meet the running costs of the 53-member African
bloc, which has struggled to raise funds to develop closer ties among African
countries and encourage democracy, peace and development on the continent.

eo/mw[ENDS]

IRIN-WA
Tel: +221 867.27.30
Fax: +221 867.25.85
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
IRIN-SA
Tel: +27 11 895-1900
Fax: +27 11 784-6759
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

IRIN-CEA
Tel: +254 20 622147
Fax: +254 20 622129
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To make changes to or cancel your subscription visit:

Subscriber: m-net@mauritanie-net.com