Hi Cristina,

to help you further, it would be helpful, if you provide the error message
you got as well as the type of input files you  are using.
And indeed, you can use prokaryotic contigs. I'm regularly align contigs in
multiple fasta files (one fasta file per organism) against fasta or genbank
of a reference genome.
Most of the time it works straightforward. Sometimes I have to remove
dashes (-) from the fasta header lines, if present.

--
Kind regards,
Mathias