Similar story here - I've been using Orion's EJB persistence (which is
awesome!) for a while, but I'm really trying to move to a simpler solution
now. A very crucial criteria for me is ease of use - I don't want to be
continuously writing database support classes, modifying schemas and
updating XML mapping files (within reason of course). EOB seems like the
choice for hosting my components. For persistence, (after trying about 10
gazillion tools) Kodo is my preferred tool.

Kodo is an incredibly elegant commercial JDO implementation - pricing is
reasonable. It supports very sophisticated object/relational mappings
including inheritance and reverse lookups. The nicest thing about it is how
little work you (the developer) have to do; the source for existing classes
doesn't need to be modified or conform to a particular pattern to be
persistant. The tools modify the bytecode of existing classes, generate the
schema for you (complete with database optimizations) and even alter an
existing one.

If a commerical product is out of the question, these systems I also rate
highly:
- Castor: Very mature JDO like system.
- Hibernate: Quite young system similar to Castor although much simpler to
work with.
- OfBiz Entity: Very robust persitence system, based on generic value
objects rather than classes (although values can be wrapped with classes).

Depending on the domain logic approach I'm using, I'd choose OfBiz for a
transactional script approach and Hibernate for a domain model. Of course,
my first choice would be Kodo for both of these - when I can use it! :)

Hope this helps.

Kodo: http://www.solarmetric.com/
Castor: http://castor.exolab.org/
Hibernate: http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/