Thank you all so far for these thoughs. Additional node
and load balancer would be good solution of course
and is definitely the right way to go.

The only problem is that there is not too much load
to balance :)

I now feel that our users can live with the fact that the
site is down for five minutes or so. But there is a lot of
time consuming "filling in data input forms" going on
in these applications. So I have to make sure that if
I stop a webapp (the container itself remains running)
then the application in root context will take over,
persist all the form data and give an easy to
understand explanation of what is going on. And once
the new version of the webapp is deployed and is up
and running again the user should be able to continue
like nothing evere happened.

This is just an idea and I dont know if this kind of
solution is reliable. And would it work with different
containers? With Tomcat it kind of works. The only
worrying thing is that if I hit reload button heavily
duering the startup of webapp then I have seen
error messages.

So it all depends on an implementation of a container
and this can make things very vulnerable.

taavi