Nothing is needed to use the new thumbnail caching. Enable the DEBUG mode
by adding this to you settings/local.py file

DEBUG=True

Go to a view that shows document images and take a look at the debug
messages in the console. You should entries like this:

documents.models <8408> [DEBUG] "generate_image() transformations cache
file
"page-cache-bea37f94-57c4-4789-a5b3-f501dc678fcd-24-55-118690ab21ab21be"
found"

The long filename is the page UUID followed by the transformations if
serialized format (zoom, resize, rotation). This means that the page images
are being cached in their
final resized dimensions. The system still uses a background process to
check is a document thumbnail is already available and this causes a slight
overhead (not realtime).
If runing using the `runserver` command the task broker is disabled and all
background tasks run in the same process as the UI, this will cause the
appearance that the
thumbnails are being generated from scratch. A screen refresh should show
that they are not being regenerated and will display faster than the first
time they displayed,
this should indicate that they are being cached. With this in mind give it
another try to see a difference. You can also delete all cached images
using the "Clear document image cache"
button in the Tools menu or by manually deleting all file in the
mayan/media/document_cache folder and doing a view refresh. The time to
display the thumbnails should be very
different in the first and subsequent refreshes.

--

---