I just wanted to throw this out here as something somewhat related:
If you are interested in a better metadata display on the Index/Search
views, here's how to do it:

1. Edit /lib/python2.7/site-packages/mayan/apps/metadata/widgets.py and
replace the get_metadata_string function with this:

def get_metadata_string(document):
    """
    Return a formated representation of a document's metadata values
    """
    return mark_safe(''.join(
        [
(document_metadata.id,document_metadata.metadata_type,
document_metadata.value) for document_metadata in document.metadata.all()
        ]
    ))

2. Edit
/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mayan/apps/appearance/static/appearance/css/base.css

and add this at the bottom:

> .md-disp {
>     min-width: 200px;
>     display: inline-block;
>     padding-right: 10px;
>     width: 49%;
> }

3. You may also want to add this:

> @media (min-width:1200px) {
>     .container {
>         width: 95%;
>                 min-width: 1170px;
>     }
> }

What these changes will do is split the metadata into 'blocks', the
metadata-type being *bold*, and, if the screen is wide enough, split them
into two columns(otherwise a single column of metadata).

Also, I wrapped them in divs with class md-disp so it can be wrapped in the
future with a Jquery editable function, for inline metadata editing.

--

---