Hello,

I recently published a blog post explaining how the converter
works: http://www.mayan-edms.org/post/mayan-converter/
In the case of PDF files, the utility pdftoppm is used to convert the pages
into images. You can use pdftoppm on the PDF files
made by img2pdf to see the actual image Mayan is receiving and spot any
degradation.

As for your questions:
1) The OCR doesn't pre process the images before doing the recognition.
This is some being worked on (already there is a scanline filter to reduce
pre OCR images to 2 colors), but is not available to the user yet. When
available, it will be possible to apply a stack of transformations for the
document images before performing the OCR task.
2) Strictly speaking about file types, there is no way to make a multi-page
JPEG, the format doesn't support it (JPEG 2000 has the JPM and JPX
extenstions which might do but I don't how good is Pillow's JPEG 2000
support). Another JPEG format which could be used is MJPG but it is for
video and it would be hackish attempt to convert the frames to pages. On
the platform side, you can group images with Mayan already using an Index
or a SmartLink. All the JPEG uploads need is a unique marker (like a
metadata value or a filename fragment). This can be accomplished via the UI
and the API. For example the index template: {{ document.label|slice:":4"
}} will group all documents with the same 4 first characters in the name.
To use a different part of the filename for the grouping just change the
slice argument
(http://www.diveintopython3.net/native-datatypes.html#slicinglists).

--

---