In the workflows menu you can also view documents not just by their
workflow, but also by their current state within that workflow.

Regarding the internals, the workflow app is a state machine, so documents
will always need to be in a state. There are business flow where even at a
100% state like "Archived", documents can be reactivated and sent back to a
previous state. For these reasons a document will always need a state in
the current system. However, what can be done is add a flag to mark a
state(s) as "complete" and disregard documents in that state from the
workflow document list.  Would that work?

--

---