Hi,

I was not able to reproduce your issue. Error 500 for static media means
the DEBUG=True statement is not being picked up by Django. Make sure you
are editing the local.py inside the virtualenv and not in the root
installation of Python (your path has an initial '/'). Unlikely but just in
case.

Also make sure there are no other hanged processes using:

ps x a| grep 'mayan'

Sometimes previous runserver commands can remain in a Linux zombie process.

Finally, try this exactly as typed and check static media to discard any
library difference with the OS.

cd /tmp
virtualenv venv
source venv/bin/activate
pip install mayan-edms==2.6.4
mayan-edms.py initialsetup
echo "DEBUG=True" >>
venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mayan/settings/local.py
mayan-edms.py runserver

Browse to localhost:8000

Check static files
directly: http://127.0.0.1:8000/static/appearance/css/base.css