We are using DynaPDF Pro to, among other things, create a PDF Viewer in one of
our projects. We are trying to implement a function that requires zooming in to
create a small raster image (on the order of 200 X 200 pixels) from a very
small section of the PDF. The zoom factor can be as high as 250X, so the size
of the PDF rect being rasterized is on the order of 1 pt X 1 pt.

We do this by setting the cropBox to whatever we need, and then rasterizing the
portion of the PDF within that cropBox. The performance of doing this is
surprisingly good - on the order of a one or two hundred milliseconds - IF the
crop area is near the upper left hand corner of the PDF.

But, the performance really begins to suffer as a function of the distance of
the crop area from the upper left. For example, if it is near the lower right
corner of a letter- or a-4 size PDF page, the rasterization time can be several
seconds, and in some cases, the result is an empty picture even though the
DynaPDFRasterizerMBS.renderPage function does not return “false.”

Is this performance dependence just a feature of the implementation which one
can’t get around, or are there solutions to improve the performance?

Thanks,

--
Peter Truskier
Premedia Systems, Inc.