I've been messing with the syntax file for HTML. It's hard work because there are
many places where you need contexts within other contexts and if you try to use a
keyword as a pseudo-context you are limited by newline characters.

Let's summarize so you can choose and merge:

a) This is a MUST. References can't have the "whole" attribute because they are
usually in the middle of words and they are ignored:

    keyword &*; white/12

    prefixásuffix

b) I've heavily coloured the DOCTYPE tag and the HTML version is highlighted (very
nice!!!). It's a good thing to enforce standards even if they are $propietary$. It may
need some tweaking because I only tried the W3C official DTD's.

c) Use cyan (darker) for closing tags . Not essential.

d) Use yellow (lighter) for top level tags (html, body, stc.)

e) Remark styles as used in CSS. Class, id and pseudo-classes selections are colored.
I had problems with color styles (color:#990000) because of the #, same as in the id
selector. May need some tweaking.

b) Remark embedded scripts.

I agree to remove tag names and properties, and these are just to enforce the block
structure of the file.

There is a css.syntax for Cooledit, but it has similar structure to the old
syntax.html. Take a look.

Now for the bad things.

a) We have problems with quoted "" strings within the  context when they spread in
several lines. I see no way to higlight &xxx; references in them. Same for style
definitions {} within the
b) You may dislike the colors...

c) No clue about color numbers, as in yellow/24. I wrote them in a pseudo-random way.

About tidy, it's the only command line checker I know. It's sponsored by W3C and it
seems to be included in recent Linux distributions. Try the latest version at
SourceForge with the options I sent.

*8-) David

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com