Pavel Roskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb am 22.01.03 15:42:30:
> > /..   <- doubledots
>
> Yes.  The patch was suggested by Bulia Byak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and nobody
> complained.

Sad, I'm not subscribed to the list anymore because of some internal problems for a
couple of
weeks so I must have missed that one otherwise I would have complained *loudly* about
it.
Please forgive if I complain now.

> > prefs. I used to use it that way for many years now and Now the first
> > entry is /bin here no topmost /.. or /. to push.
>
> I don't understand.  Could you please explain it in more details?  What
> are you trying to do?  Why is it a problem for you?  Why do you care about
> the root directory?

Well, first of all I really like to have that feature back or at least an option in
prefs to enable it
again.

Well how to explain the "problem" it's more a feel and use for a bunch of years and I
find it
totally annyoing how it is now it's not the way how I used to use it anymore.

>From the filesystem point of view you know when you do a 'ls -l' you see

.
..
blahdir2
blahdir3
file1
file2

It's a known filesystem behaviour which got removed now. If you enter cd .. then you
get put
back one dir, If you enter 'cd .' you get directory changed and refreshed into the
same dir e.g. if
you removed a dir with MC and on another terminal you are still in the dir and you
unpack the dir
again then doing an 'ls -l' will give you no output. you need to refresh the dir you
can either cd
completyl into the dir again from root or you simply enter 'cd .' that was the SAME
purpose and
meaning in MC.

here a practical example

- open 2 dirs with MC
- now open another terminal in the console and remove one dir completely (from the dir
you see
in mc)
- MC didn't updated this dir.
- the usual correct way to refresh this dir is either 'refresh it form menu or
shortkey' or moving
with the cursor to the top of the dir (usually homekey or screen up) and press return
on the '/..'
or '/.' bar. It will rescan the dir and refresh the output and shows me the dir
removed. Now as is
I need to go inside of /bin /dev or any other dir and go out again to see the Dir
changed or need
to press refresh.

So you basically cut some of the features of a correct directory management by
implementing
that patch. So I really like to ask you to remove that patch again or make it optional
in the prefs
e.g. 'Showing topmost dot in Root' or something but removing it completely is wrong
and not
well thought. Please put it back in again.

Thank you.