On Thu, 13 Jul 2006, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

>> The shell prompt string itself.
>>
> ok. maybe it would make sense to implement an own bash-compatible PS1
> interpreter. trying to make sense of almost arbitrary program output
> sort of has to fail.

Maybe we can even borrow the code directly from bash (or some other shell)
and embed it into MC.

>>> read my lips: NO WAY IN HELL. ;)
>>> this is one of the few actual selling points of mc over all the other
>>
>> The prompt widget or the fact that if the subshell is enabled commands
>> are executed trough the subshell ? Don't get me wrong - I want to keep
>> the prompt widget. What I propose is to handle commands typed at it
>> just as if the subshell is disabled. I cannot see how commands typed
>> at the prompt and executed trough the subshell give MC an advantage
>> over the other file managers.
>>
> the fact that i can switch the panels on and off at any time - without
> losing the command's output.

Even without the subshell the command output doesn't get lost - just try
it. It is taken care of.

>> The problem that I was debugging - it was related to this feature. In
>> short: [...]
>>
> yes, i remember that discussion pretty well. it's, indeed, no simple
> problem.

Well, a fix was checked in which was supposed to fix the issue - that
was almost 4 year ago. Some years laters a variation of the same bug hits
again...