Pavel Tsekov wrote:

> I am not convinced that this patch is better than your first
> one. Its basically the same and removes a valid check - it
> doesn't fix the issue.

It does fix the _original_ issue. And that one you are talking about
is quite a different thing (see below).
It isn't related to the original issue.
Anyway, saving/restoring 'startpoint' in history won't fix it either.

> Try the following:
>
> COLS = 126
> LINES = 60
>
> 1) F1 (Help)
>
> 2) Select "contents" and hit "Enter"
>
> 3) Press "Page Down"
>
>    You should end up on "Executing operating systems commands"
>
> 4) Press "Up"
>
> You should notice that the marker doesn't select the
> previous link as it should.

Why do you expect it?
Why pressing <Up> should scroll _two_ lines up?
It is documented that <Up> key scrolls only _one_ line up.

 From MC's help:
down          Move to the next item or scroll a line down.
up            Move to the previous item or scroll a line up.

> You need to press "Up"
> one more time.

That's right. Because the previous link is two lines up,
you have to press <Up> two times to scroll two lines up.
By the way, <Down> key works the same way.

So Up/Down keys work the way they are documented:
- If prev/next link is visible, jump to it.
- Otherwise, scroll one line up or down.

If we modify it to always jump to the prev/next link
even if the link is not visible, it would be easier
to navigate in the contents. But it may bring confusion
while navigating inside the node.
IMHO, scrolling _always_ one line up is more natural
and predictable behaviour.

But let me return to the original issue and the patch.
Of course I am not saying that it is the best, but I
thoroughly analyzed the source and came to conclusion
that the check and 'startpoint' are not needed. Really.
Waiting for your decision.

> P.S. Sorry for the late reply but I have some problems
> which I need to take care of.

If I am annoying you with such a simple issue, just say it :)

Regards,
  Grigory