Never mind, I have found the reason for the error. The Filtered View
command does not currently use the PATH environment variable to find the
executable provided.

I have submitted a pull request for this:
https://github.com/MidnightCommander/mc/pull/59

Is someone able to have a look for me?

To replicate the problem:
1. In mc, open the "File" menu and select "Filtered View"
2. In the displayed Filtered View command and arguments field, type "grep
PATTERN FILENAME"

Expected result: display output of grep command in mcview
Actual result: Error is displayed "Cannot create pipe streams"

Reason: The grep command is not in the current directory, and the PATH
environment variable is not used to search for the executable.

Regards,
Ben