Everything you said is right. But what current mc lacks are new features.
Developers can be very good at code refactoring or cleaning-up or rewriting
the editor to support charset detection... but in reality what people want
is the tool that do what THEY want - and yes, plugins ARE the solution.
Just give people a chance and github would bursting with mc extensions...

So that's why I suggested you - in my opinion you are trying to change a
course to the right direction.

Another thing is the fact that the team is going to pass the project to guy
why, i believe, is more anonymous to the project than you. I have nothing
against Luca, do not misunderstand me, but still prefer the poll.