On 5/24/15, Mike Smithson <mdooli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's always bugged me that I can only access the
> first 10 items with the keys 0-9.
> [...]
> Keys a-z are very often used by the menu of the
> dialog the listbox is in, but keys A-Z are not.
> [...]
> Now I can access the top 36 items instead of just
> the top 10.

But isn't it "hard" to count, say, 27 items mentally? Isn't it easier
to just press the arrows repeatedly? I think that's a question the
maintainers are going to ask you.

(Otherwise I don't see a problem with your code. But you'd want to
change the "- 55" to "- 'A' + 10" and remove the curly brackets
(that's their laws).)

Anyway, you can do all such tweakings in mc^2 without touching the C
code. Here, I "translated" your code to Lua:

https://github.com/mooffie/mc/blob/lua-4.8.14-port/src/lua/tests/snippets/listbox_AZ.lua

I've also created a new module today that lets you associate hotkeys
with the directories there. Again, no C coding is required. Here's a
screenshot (note the yellow arrows):

http://www.typo.co.il/~mooffie/mc-lua/docs/html/guide/SCREENSHOTS.md.html#Find_as_you_type__hotkeys__clock

(Isn't this feature what you *really* want?)

> I use Directory hotlist a lot. Constantly, really.

A few weeks ago somebody said he's using the "File edit/view history"
of Dos Navigator "several hundred times a day"[1]. After implementing
it (better) in mc^2 I can say the same. I mention it because many
times (thanks to its "Quick filter" entry[2]) one can use it as a
replacement for the Directory hotlist dialog.

[1] http://www.midnight-commander.org/ticket/280#comment:25
[2]
http://www.typo.co.il/~mooffie/mc-lua/docs/html/guide/SCREENSHOTS.md.html#Recently_Visited_Files__xterm_titles