Hi,

My git knowledge is pretty accurately described by
http://xkcd.com/1597/ , so the first time I'll do that branching and
merging (esp. the latter) it'd be great if someone double checked on
me.

Also: What are the steps to be performed before/after a commit?  I
mean, run the unittests (make tests -- that's it?), check if the code
is formatted (make indent -- correct?), update the NEWS file (how?),
anything else?

thanks,
egmont