On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 9:55 AM, solarflow99 <solarflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps having something like "save directory paths", "other-dir" or
> similar as Paul mentioned could be added with the default to just be ON.
> This could always be overridden by unchecking it and saving settings.

This is complicated. Not especially to implement, but to present on the UI
in a manner that's obvious to users.

So, you'd move one single option to the realm of another config. How about
also boundling current_is_left with this option? Why, or why not?

How about all the other options? What if someone else wants a different
option to be saved upon exit? Will we introduce another meta-option for
them?

Where would the new option "save directory paths" belong? Would this option
itself be saved according to the already existing "auto-save setup" or
according to itself?

  But no one will ever complain about having this back because no one
> complained until it was lost when mc 4.8 came out :)

(Assuming it was indeed changed with 4.8) no one except you complained
about it for the last 4.5 years, which is also a good way to measure the
importance of such an option.

While I understand your request and the rationale behind it, I'm really
uncertain that mc should move in this direction.

How about, for the time being, you enable auto-save and create a simple
wrapper script for yourself that replaces your mc configs (restores
everything except for other_dir) before starting up mc?

I'm also thinking that _if_ we're indeed concerned that this and only this
particular option deserves a special treatment, I'm wondering whether
other_dir is better to be remembered globally or per-terminal. Maybe the
latter, in which case we might go towards "mc -P" printing it in a certain
format, and mc.sh storing it in an environment variable (somewhat similar
concept to how the current directory is handled now)...

cheers,
egmont