Hello, Miguel!

I have found the following stance in your proposals for GNOME 1.4:

   The GNOME 1.4 release will expand the platform with a number of
interesting technologies:
     * GNOME VFS: This library provides an asyncronous API integrated with
Gtk that application developers can use to access files on remote servers,
inside compressed files, trough webdav, ftp and more.

Are you plannig to use the VFS library that is currently used by MC? If
yes, I want to suggest some changes:

1) mcserv should not be compiled by default. It's a server for a
non-standard protocol. AFAIK, it has never been seriously audited for
security. It's also not optimized for speed.

2) mcfs should not be supported by VFS by default for the same reasons.

3) VFS should use a bison-generated parser based on the public domain
getdate.y. The existing parser has some problems (e.g. Y2K handling is far
from ideal), and it's hard to maintain it in a working and secure state.

4) VFS should be shared by default. This means using libtool. Moreover,
VFS should have it's own configure.in, so that it can be distributed
separately.

Many bugfixes are needed as well, but I guess you will not object against
bugfixes :-)

Regards,
Pavel Roskin