Hi!

> I think it's time to disable mcserv by default in the MC sources.
>
> We now have "fish" support in MC on the client side and OpenSSH on the
> server side. Who needs to run a slow server using a non-standard protocol
> when a standard-compliant, fast, secure replacement is available?

fish is not superior to mcserv. It is slower, and it might have
problems with reliability. [Imagine putting file containing lots of
lines 'rm -rf /' and remote dd dying for some strange reason].

> mcserv only makes sense for embedded systems. But, in order to take
> advantage of it's small size, it should be more portable than MC itself -
> it should compile on the OS'es used in embedded systems - DOS, QNX, BeOS,
> maybe even PalmOS and Windows CE.
>
> I suggest moving mcserv to a separate directory "mcserv" with a separate
> configure script. The top-level configure will only descend there if
> explicitly requested by "--enable-mcserv"

I guess this is okay. Most users are not interested in mcserv, anyway.

                                                                Pavel
--
I'm [EMAIL PROTECTED] "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at [EMAIL PROTECTED]