> Except that you would not be able to use keys that are missing in the
> label, functional keys in particular.

Yes, and besides, mc.menu does not use "&" also, it stores hotkeys in a separate
field. So consistency dictates using the same approach in the hotlist - these two
constructs are similar in many respects.

However, my patch cannot handle functional keys, only "printable" keys. I don't know
how to handle other keys. Given that mc has no subsystem for reading keymaps from
configuration files, I think there's nothing in current mc where I could borrow such
code from. Suggestions are welcome, of course.

While we are at it, here's one more major reason to implement ASAP keymap
configuration via config files: with the current support for terminals, many keys
simply do not work. For example, on my Konsole, shift-arrows and ctrl-pgdn in the
editor do not work at all. Now the only way to work around this is to hack the keymap
in the source (to bind these functions to some other keys that work) and recompile.
Needless to say, there must be a more convenient way to do this.