Hello Jim,

On Sat, 2005-11-26 at 10:47 +0200, Jim Holland wrote:
> I must say that this is making me think of trying other distributions such
> as Debian that are apparently free of this issue.  How can Red Hat
> effectively abandon support for text-based applications like this?

You should take a look at luit, which comes with the xorg-x11 and
XFree86 rpms. I don't know what the binary depends on, so I can't say
for sure if you can just take that binary or need to install the whole X
stuff to use it.

$ luit -encoding iso-8859-1 ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED]

in combination with mc -a should give you a usable result.

Leonard.