I've been using bash all along.  but what is weird is that it was
working fine at first and then the problem happened.

So it is either a change to the system or some library or something
that I've since installed.  Of course since I didn't run mc after each
new thing I installed it is  impossible to know when it started.

Is yours exactly 60 seconds each time, too?