On Thursday 21 December 2006 12:04, Wiseman wrote:
> I'd suggest fully configurable key shortcuts (supporting both real
> keys and terminal keys for all cases) for future versions of MC to
> avoid this confusion and allow it to be customized.

Greeting, Developers!

I, Peter A. Kerzum, hereby require fully configurable keyboard shortcuts
to be finally implemented in future versions of mc =) Well, I use mc quite
a lot as an IDE, and I like it, especially 2 features:
- mc works well on text terminals and
- for its intuitive nature, for perfect editor with support for C-Shift-left

well, I believe, most mc users honour these features and they are the most
important design decisions - correct me if I'm wrong. We need to understand
that hardcoded keybindings are the main trouble in search of improvement
these needful qualities, I guess you thought of it.

Consider a number of reasons:
- mc is often run on remote terminals which are often poor
  * there are editors comands like C-Shift-left that cannot be performed
        on such terminals at all
  * this is frequently done by people not familiar with UNIX, neither with
        ESC-digit sequences, who choose mc as their first step of this
acquaintance
- different needs require different text operations well configured, but
editors
        choice of commands is misleading - some M-letter combinations are
        builtin while others are free for       macros.
- most people have 3 dedicated buttons between M and C and they'd like
        to use them for whatever they do, the same about keypad
- some people have different idea of what intuitive is

It would be really nice if comands be associated not only with key-codes
(as is the case with learn keys) but with sequences of codes. This way we
could use multikey sequences and provide stuff like 'emacs C-x command
 set config' or 'M-alphanumeric comand set'. You know what I mean =)