On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Frank Dietrich wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how can I force the internal viewer to start in hex view mode? When I
> want to have a quick view into a large binary file, it's annoying when
> the viewer starts in ASCII mode. I then only can decide to wait until
> the file is loaded and then toggle with F4, wait if mc will quit
> because of less memory or kill mc.
>
> Is there any shortkey like SHIFT-F3 for ASCII view?
>
> regards
> Frank

Speaking purely as a user, I find the following to be true:

View a file with F3, then hit F4. The view changes to hex view/edit.

Close the file.

Open another file with F3. It comes up now in hex view/edit mode, unless
you hit F4 which now turns that mode off.

So one suggestion would be to open a small file, hit F4, then exit the
small file and open the large one.

Also I would not be surprised if one could change the default mode for
opening to be hex mode, but I never tried to do that. Thus, I hope that my
little suggestion can get you past a difficult situation without too much
trouble, until you get a serious answer from one of the development team.

Theodore Kilgore