Am Montag, den 18.08.2008, 19:50 +0000 schrieb Reynir Stefansson:
> # make install
> or
> $ sudo make install
> or
> $ su -c "make install"
>
> to install it on your computer. I use Linux and have no idea what will
> work for you, only that you need root privileges to install new
> software.

The last part, although common knowledge, is wrong. You generally don't
need root privileges to install software on Unix-like systems. It
suffices to have write permission on the directory where you want to
install things. For example, you can have a dedicated user "builder"
that compiles and installs software, and you make this user the owner
of /usr/local.

For mc, however, things are a little different with Linux, since it
installs the cons.saver program, which needs to be set-uid.

Roland