On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 00:49:40 -0500 (CDT)
Theodore Kilgore <kilg...@banach.math.auburn.edu> wrote:

> 1 a. One might think that, well, root also should have a copy of the
> .Xdefaults file. So to anticipate this suggestion let me point out right
> now that it does not help. To be sure, it will help if one starts X as
> root, but not if one has started X as a user and then has opened an xterm
> and switched over to be root in that xterm. In this event, the root user's
> copy of the .Xdefaults file is obviously either not read, or is
> inoperative.

When you do sudo / su command, xterm does not change ownership - it's just a
(ran by user)terminal emulator, so user's(not root's) .Xresources is used.
If you run xterm as root(isn't 'sudo su' enought?) - then yes, your root is
normal X client,
he must be configured properly.

You might have configuration problems with ~/.inputrc or /etc/inputrc
(readline library configuration, used by bash).
My /etc/inputrc: http://rafb.net/p/yOglR137.html

> 2. If one has two machines (for example, home and office) and has the same
> userid on both and if one does something like ssh (other machine), then
> again the .Xdefaults file is ignored. Again, it does not matter if one has
> a copy of the .Xdefaults file, with identical contents, on both machines.
> Clearly, it does not get read when one makes a connection in from the
> outside, using ssh.

It's a client's headache to configure properly his (X)terminal, but server's
(as you run
shell there) to provide properly configured readline.

P.S.:
Disabling
    XTerm*eightBitInput:   true
    XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true
in my ~/.Xresources breaks not only mc for me, but many other console
applications.
For example bash hotkeys (and even non-ASCII input!) are broken

--

  Sergei