Hello Keith!

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 09:39:21 +0100 (BST) Keith Roberts <ke...@karsites.net>
wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009, wwp wrote:
>
> > To: mc@gnome.org
> > From: wwp <subscr...@free.fr>
> > Subject: Re: Copy process over hardware failure is endless
> > > Hello Frank, Keith,
> >

> > On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 20:42:01 +0200 Frank Dietrich <ables...@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,

> >> Wouldn't it be more secure for your data to save first the whole
> >> partition/disc with ddrescue or similar, to reduce the stress on the
> >> dying disc? And after that copying your important data from this
> >> image? The only reason which could prevent you not to do this could be
> >> the size of the disc.
> >
> > Yes that's probably what I'll do. I appreciate your suggestion (and
> > Keith's) one. Both suggestion will be hard to deploy, as it seems my
> > disk self-powers down regularly.
>
> Maybe you could change the power-down defaults with
>
> yum list *hdparm*
>
> You will need to read *all* the manual page before using hdparm, as there are
> some options that are not safe, or experimental.
>
> Use it at your own risk - especially on a faulty drive!
>
> I use it to send my backup IDE drive into sleep mode, between hourly backups.
>
> '-S' option
>
> Set the standby (spindown) timeout for the drive.  This value is used by the
> drive to determine how long to wait (with no disk activity)  before turning
> off the spindle motor to save power.

(I know about the hdparm -S thing, thanks anyway)

I'm afraid those power-downs directly or not are due to a hardware
problem. The most amazing thing (and a pretty good news for my data
recovery) is that those power-downs don't happen while ddrescue is
copying data, whereas they are showing up regularly when using mc or
cp.. Maybe a temperature problem and the disk safety mechanisms were
shutting down the disk to prevent breakage.. Apparently this is not due
to a specific area in the disk, since ddrescue completed the copy w/o
problem and I'm now able to mount it.

Thanks again!

Regards,

--