[Theodore Kilgore, 2013-01-18]
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Piotr Ozarowski wrote:
>
> > [Theodore Kilgore, 2013-01-18]
> > > "xdg-open opens a file or URL in the user's preferred application"
> > > explicitly mentioning "a file or a url" and then it says
> > > "If a file is provided the file will be opened in the preferred
> > > application for files of that type." These words would indicate that it
> > > is
> > > going to open a file by doing something to the file, not by doing the
> > > extraneous act of starting a web browser.
> >
> > do you have something like:
> >
> > application/pdf;        xpdf '%s';      prioryty=1;     test=test -n
> > "$DISPLAY"
> >
> > in ~/.mailcap or /etc/mailcap?
>
> No I did not.
>
> > If not, can you add it to ~/.mailcap and check
> > xdg-open again?
> >
> > You can also add to ~/.mime.types:
>
> I have no such file

create it then

> > application/pdf             pdf
>
> (didn't try adding any .mime.types file. Are you sure it isn't "xpdf" at
> the end?)

yes, I'm sure (it will let xdg-open know that *.pdf files have
application/pdf mime type and later it will choose the right app from
~/.mailcap)

> > if /etc/mime.types doesn't have it.
>
> No such file in /etc, either.

so that's why xdg-open tries to open this file in a browser

nothing to do with CUPS, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mailcap

> No help from adding the line to .mailcap.

echo 'application/pdf pdf' >> ~/.mime.types